Thursday, April 24, 2008

In quest of love

I was busy doing nothing and staring at the cloud laden sky when my mom came to my room. Her jovial mood was in contrast to my own; way too contrast.

“Hey, Sweetie, guess what?” my mom tried when I didn’t acknowledge her presence.

“Hmph?” was my only reply.

“There is a marriage proposal for you,” my mom told me excitedly, thinking she had my whole-hearted attention. “A very nice guy and handsome too…”

After a minute when I turned my gaze to my mom, she was still talking about ‘the guy’. I could see her bubbling with excitement … and there was something else … nervousness? Yes, she was nervous, nervous of my reaction.

I smiled at her. My mistake! She relaxed visibly, but mistook my smile for my interest.

“I knew you will like the guy,” my mom said. Yeah, without even looking at him, I thought. “Let me show you his photograph.”

And she sprinted out of my room. Literally. Is that yoga thing finally paying, I wondered. She didn’t give me much time to think along those lines as she was back with the photograph.

So, he looks like this tribal man, who never ever has seen sunshine, never taken bath, never seen another human and yet managed a photograph of himself. Well, that was how thought I would start but have to accept, he is handsome, the way they describe in those love novels.

After letting my mom fiddle with it for God-knows-how-much-time, I said, “He is good looking, Mom, but that’s not the only thing you look for in a guy. I don’t love him. Heck! I don’t even know him.”

“Knowing is not a problem, Honey,” Mom said airily, “And once you are married, you will learn to love. That’s how it is. And how long will you wait for the love of your life? Whole life?”

I had no answer to that, so I was silent. And that’s how I found myself in a beauty parlour after one month, getting ready for my own wedding. Yeah, my own wedding. That novel-handsome guy isn’t that bad – loving, caring, understanding, etc. And still I can not feel that spark, you know, the kind which tells you – yes, he is the one. But … as Mom said, I can’t wait my whole life for my Prince Charming.

***

Five years, five long years, five long hectic years, five long … alright, you got an idea, right? Yes, five years since I got married. I am well settled with my husband and two kids. Life is cool and calm, well as much it can be with two naughty kids around. But yes, I have everything I could have hoped for in life … correction … married life.

But, sometimes … just sometimes, I look at the sky and think about my Prince Charming, whom I never gave a chance. All these years, I tried forgetting about him. I tried finding him in my husband, but no, he is not ‘the one’. Not that he is bad or we don’t gel well, but it’s that I don’t find a spark in him, there are no ringing bells in my mind and my heart doesn’t skip a beat when I see him.

Is this idiocy? To wait for someone who you don’t even know is there? Is it sinful to wish for love when I already am married? Is it selfish on my part to wish love when I am not exactly lacking it? If it is, then why do I still think about it?

***

A new colleague joined office today. God knows why, but I felt as if I know him. Of course, that proved to be a figment of my wild imagination. He had never even been to the cities I have wandered through all my life. Still, where had I seen him?

Anyway, he seems to be a shy … scratch that … introvert kind. Not that he won’t answer you if you ask something, but his answers are odd and to the point, giving you an impression that he is not interested. Many of my colleagues think he is arrogant, but I think it’s better to talk less than to talk rubbish.

***

He is my friend now. It’s strange that within two months we have opened up so much with each other. There’s hardly anyone else whom I am so frank with. I never had shared my opinions until necessary with anyone and definitely not the personal ones. But, he always seems to know that when am I worried, when I need someone to talk to, when I need a friend to confess things I want to. He just has to ask me and I can’t help but pour all my heart out to him. Same is the case with him. I don’t see him talking and laughing so much as he does with me.

I haven’t confessed this to anyone, but I feel very happy and proud that I am the reason he laughs and talks so much, that I make him feel content, that he shares his problems with me.

And well, now I am also labelled odd and arrogant by my colleagues.

***

It was my marriage anniversary today. He also came. And he gifted me a set of fiction novels which I still hadn’t got the chance to read. To say I was surprised would be an under-statement. Even my husband can’t tell my favourite novels and yet he had chosen all the ones I would love to lay my hands on.

The party went well and to everyone’s amazement, he got along very well with my ‘naughty’ kids. Thanks to him, there was no interruption in the party; a record in the last six years. I had to stop my kids from going with him to his home. I am pretty sure my colleagues would have labelled my kids as arrogant as well or maybe odd. As if I care, huh!

***

These girls! What do they think of themselves? Just because they wear skimpy clothes, they think they can woo any guy. I would have loved to kill that … that … bitch, yes, bitch. How dare she!

And no, she couldn’t find any other guy in the whole office group. She had to flirt with him. She had to ask his help in swimming. Why the hell did we go to beach for celebrating our team’s anniversary?

And he … he simply laughed it away when I told him. He was just helping her, he said. Yeah, right! As if I am blind or something. He is too innocent for all these things. He doesn’t know that girls take advantage of guys like him. Those sluts, I swear…

***

He has not come to office for a week. He is ill, some viral or something. Yes, we all went to meet him. He looked so weak. I wish I could stay there and help him. Though I did take dinner for him twice, it’s not enough, now is it? My husband was looking in a odd way, when I took dinner to hospital. My kids also came with me and it seemed more of an outing than a hospital visit.

I wish he gets well soon. Office is not the same without him.

***

How can this happen? How could I let it happen? No, no, this is not happening.

I … I – him … no. We are just friend, right? I mean, we care for each other like friends, don’t we? Then why does Sonia feel that we have fallen for each other. She is idiot. Gossip queen of the office.

And yet, why was he not disturbed by the fact? Why was he looking at me oddly? Why did he not deny it? What’s all this? Why is it happening?

***

Yes, I love him. I have loved him from the first day I saw him. I have loved each and every moment I spent with him. I feel pain when I was not with him. I, who always waited for Prince Charming, couldn’t recognise him. It took a simple question from my husband to make me accept the truth. What is he to you? That’s was what my husband asked me.

What is he to me? Everything. Everything I wanted my husband to be. He is my love. He means the whole world to me.

What an irony! I had always waited for my ‘Knight in shining armour’. Here he is and I can’t hold his hand. I can’t love him. I can’t be his.

This is painful … to let go of my life, to forget the happiness I will have with him, to find a treasure only to leave it again.

What should I do?

***

His confession tore me apart. We both love each other and yet can’t be together. This is cruelty, unfair, horrible …

No, I did not wait for him to let him go… he is my happiness, my being. I feel empty without him. I don’t want to die when I just learnt to be happy.

***

My whole family is against me. Honestly, what was I expecting? What else will you get after telling your family that you want to move out of a happy married life? Just because you have found love? my mother had said. Now I am idiot and insane as well. Well, apart from arrogant.

My husband … he is furious, depressed and feeling dejected. I tried explaining him. But honestly, what can I say to make him feel better.

***

It has been five years since we got married. Five years full of love and life. I have never felt so happy and content. It seems like that smile on my face never wants to fade away.

Ahh! A crash downstairs. Seems like I am wanted there. Those two naughty boys had broken something. I am not sure whether they proved to be a bad influence on him or he proved to be a bad influence on them. But, he knows how to get them under control. God knows, what my two years daughter will turn into. No, I am not expecting much. With three naughty kids around, she is bound to join them.

Alright, now they all are shouting at the top of their voices, led by the to-be-member of the group. Hungry kids.

Time for me to go.

Ciao.

-Allya

17 comments:

cHaTtErBoX said...

WoW .... That was one piece of work ! Way to go !... What started of as a normal Hindi filmy movie....turns out to a one of the beautiful work of fiction ....

Allaya u mean to say is all arranged married women r mostly unhappy ....

mohak mehta said...

great comment dear...
i loved the story...
the decision tht ur heroine takes is one tht requires quite some courage....
only those who have tht kinda courage can get the kinda happiness she got...
and one thing i felt in total agreement was the "breaking off the marriage"...
no good in dragging along a relationship... whre there are no clashes bt there are no cherished moments either...
way to go deeps !!

Mythreya said...

Well well well...
my eyes were stuck to ur story till the end..

though a bit predictable... and reminded me of the
not-so-remembered Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna..
everything else was fine..

I felt like reading my own blog..
(ofcourse I missed the spelling and grammar errors here)

nice going girl..

BUT as u always tell me.
U can Do better!!!

prakashdiwakar said...

its really a sweet touching story..

but really i m not happy from that step after her marriage..
She can find love in her existing family and husband....

nicely written..

Amalgam said...

@ chatterbox
thanks for the comment. i havent yet understood arrange marriage.

@ mohak
i am blushing. i was kind of wary that will i make my point across. seems like i succeeded. thanks.

@ matty
i shd kno that you are a demanding person. i will do better next time but gimme an idea.

@ prakash
thanks for liking the story even if you dont agree with the plot.

The Devil said...

This beautiful piece of fiction symbolizes a revolution......... A revolution in the way Indian Women are expected to react to such a situation in life.... A revolution in the way girls tradionally condition themselves.... A revolution emerging in the corner of all the thinking female brains.

Proud of You Deeps!

Amalgam said...

@ the devil
thanks yaar. i hope people start thinking this way, esp women.

Krish said...

nice piece of work dear..
good job
i support ur character, but may be its not yet accepted by the so called 'society'.
grt going................
hope this is nt true for all arrange marriages..

Amalgam said...

@ krishna
i also hope. i mean all arrange marriages cant be bad, can they be?
thanks for your comment

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

awesome!!
is dat a real story??
my heart goes out to d husband of that lady!
who gives ppl a right to ruin othr pplz lives??
n who gave me d right to say that wen all ill eva do will be for my own happiness!!
:(

Anonymous said...

wtf !!whatta a story yaar... i really thought it to be real.. till gunj told me.

thats exactly i feel abt arrange marriage... i would rather wait for my guy with whom i feel like spending my life ...

are you sure its not real??its not somebody else's story??? :P

Amalgam said...

@ gunj
nopes, not a real story but quite a commonplace one, right? and i agree with the allya. I agree that husband was left just like that but then when u know you have found your love, you do get detached from others (her husband in this case. thanks for the comment

@ geet
thanks for the comment. not a real story as far as i know. what i agree with your view. its just difficult to convince the society around which is hellbent on our 'welfare'.

Akshay said...

First things first: This piece of fiction is marvelous. And not just the story, I mean the epistolary kindda format of the story makes it truly amazing ... it gets highlighted all the more because of the fact that its on a blog...

When I was reading through I kindda was reminded about Jab We Met (yes I have seen it a Zillion Times) so in that scene where Kareena tells Shahid that whatever his Mom did was because she was in Love....and nothing really matters then....I know the Poor Husband and all... but sometimes we can live even with complex relationships....

claytonia vices said...

And this line just keeps coming back to me, 'Don't go for the person with whom you can live with. Go for the one with whom you cannot live without.'

I cannot say how common this story is!

Amalgam said...

@ akshay
thanks for the comment
and i have written in a different format before and this time tried this one. lets say to make it interesting

@ claytonia vices
thanks for reading and commenting. dont know though what you meant by the last comment

Unknown said...

well, i feel like i hv heard of the situation..in KANK? nonetheless, its good to read as a fiction...

i was just thinking wat if it happened in real life,wat if the situations were not so easy on u like 4 eg, if the husband would (if he is a real flesh n blood Indian male)let u get away w/o making a huge mammoth issue if the thing, and also wat if the kids didn't get along very well with the guy? wat wud hv the protagonist done? coz this is 1 of the major prob with divorce: kids dont easily accept the fact that they'll hv a new character as a mom/dad.. anyways, this story makes for good reading..

Amalgam said...

@ nitya
thanks nitya for reading this one and raising so thoughtful ideas
i will try to think of them and come up with a more realistic story